Updated September 5, 2020
Dalhousie University Varsity Rowing
Due to Covid-19 related restrictions in place this year, university sports have been postponed until further notice. However, as the official club of the Dalhsousie University Varsity team, we welcome any rowers who would like to continue their training outside of the University team setting.
U23 / University / Senior Competitive Rowing
Athletes in this category should contact Tracy Brown at: email@example.com to make a plan for training options. A training plan will be developed in conjunction with the Junior and Adult programs.
Adult Indoor Rowing
Indoor rowing options will resume in November 2020 as part of the Winter program. Details on winter programs are typically released in late October.
Adult On-Water Learn to Row
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we regret to advise that there will be no Adult On-Water Learn-To-Row (LTR) Programs in Fall 2020.
- We hope to include an Indoor LTR program over the winter. While this is not a pre-requisite for the On-Water LTR, many past participants have found it helpful to learn the basic movements on land. Details on winter programs are typically released in late October.
- The next On-Water LTR program will be offered in Spring 2021. Details on Spring programs are typically released in late March.
Adult Novice Rowing
- This program is for Adults 18+ who have completed a Learn to Row program in 2020 or in previous years, at Mic Mac AAC or any other rowing club.
- Participants continue to learn and progress your rowing and boat handling skills with others at the same stage, with a focus on fun and fitness.
- Attendance at all classes is not mandatory, but recommended to optimize your pace of fitness and skill development, and value.
- Novice program participants who are progressing well could be considered to join the Adult Masters program, would be determined on a case by case basis.
Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:30PM-8:15PM
Start Date: Thursday, September 10, 2020
End Date: Thursday, October 29, 2020
Fee: $160 (+$24 Annual RCA Membership Fees + $15 Annual Row NS Membership Fees, if these have not been paid previously through another program offered since April 1, 2020)
Adult Masters Rowing
The format for fall Adult rowing programs for 2020 has changed to make rowing more accessible!
- This program is for Adult rowers with at least one season of rowing experience.
- Coaches will lead a workout and provide coaching consistent with the skill level and training goals of those present.
- Workout options will support those who wish to compete, and can be modified as needed for those who prefer a lower intensity or shorter workout.
- 8 sessions / week will be offered. Participants register for the equivalent of 2, 3, or 4 sessions / week, and sign-up for the sessions that work for them based on their schedules each week.
- Mondays – 5:45AM-7:30AM, and 6:30PM-8:15PM
- Tuesdays – 8:00AM-9:45AM
- Wednesdays – 5:45AM-7:30AM, and 6:30PM-8:15PM
- Thursdays – OFF
- Fridays – 5:45AM-7:30AM, and 6:30PM-8:15PM
- Saturdays – 8:00AM-9:45AM
- Sundays – OFF
Start Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2020
End Date: Saturday, October 31, 2020
- Equivalent of 2 sessions / week (16 sessions over 8 weeks total) = $160
- Equivalent of 3 sessions / week (24 sessions over 8 weeks total) = $230
- Equivalent of 4 sessions / week (32 sessions over 8 weeks total) = $280
+$24 Annual RCA Membership Fees + $15 Annual Row NS Membership Fees, if these have not been paid previously through another program offered since April 1, 2020.
WINTER 2019-20 PROGRAMS FOR ADULTS AGES 19+
Updated October 31, 2019
Adult Programs are open to anyone aged 19+ interested in incorporating indoor rowing, swimming, or running into their physical activity or fitness routine.
There is no requirement to have previous rowing experience, or future intentions to row on water. Membership with Mic Mac AAC is not required.
Annual membership fees of $15 for Row Nova Scotia (RNS), and $20 for RCA will be automatically added by the online registration system to the first program joined each membership year (April 1-March 31). Anyone joining a winter program as their first program this year should add $35 to the program fees outlined.
Adult Indoor Learn to Row
- For adults aged 19+ who have no indoor, nor on-water rowing experience
- Activities will focus on learning rowing technique, injury prevention, and how to use rowing as part of a general fitness plan
- At the end of each program, and at the coaches recommendation, participants may transition to the Adult Winter Training program in progress
Adult Winter Training
- For adults aged 19+ who have completed at least one season of indoor rowing winter training, or an Indoor Learn to Row program
- Sessions are offered on various days and times throughout the week. Participants subscribe to their preferred number of sessions per week for the 20-week period, based on their fitness and training goals.
- A rolling two-week schedule will be maintained online so participants can plan their attendance in advance, and make changes if their plans change. Each individual’s schedule may change week to week.
- An email reminder will be circulated weekly advising participants that the schedule for the next two weeks is open for booking. Participants sign up online in advance for the sessions that work with their schedule those weeks.
- How many sessions per week should I sign up for?
- 1-2 Sessions / Week: Suitable for participants who are using indoor rowing for general fitness or as cross-training for other sports. Members of this group will follow a plan suitable for this frequency of training.
- 3-4 Sessions / Week: Participants intending to join the Adult Masters Competitive or Pre-Competitive on-water rowing programs in 2020 should subscribe to 3-4 sessions per week. This group follows an advanced training plan, including establishment of baseline data via a Movement Screen, and RCA RADAR testing.
- 8 weekly sessions to choose from:
- Mondays: 5:45AM-7:15AM
- Tuesdays: 5:45AM-7:15AM, and 6:15PM-7:45PM
- Wednesdays: none
- Thursdays: 5:45AM-7:15AM, and 6:15PM-7:45PM
- Fridays: 12:00PM-1:30PM, and 6:15PM-7:45PM
- Saturdays: none
- Sundays: 4:15PM-5:45PM
– In some cases due to travel, illness, or other commitments, participants may not be able to attend the number of sessions per week they have purchased. Participants are permitted to carry over up to 3 sessions to subsequent weeks.
- Mic Mac AAC Rowing has partnered with the Cole Harbour Hurricanes Swim and Triathlon Club to offer swimming programs for the winter. The swimming program for adults is called the “Tropical Depressions”.
- Target participants include adults with some swimming experience who want to:
- improve their general fitness using swimming in a group setting
- use swimming for cross training for other sports
- learn front crawl well enough to finish a Try-a-Tri triathlon
- Registration for adult swimming is separate from Indoor Rowing.
- Adults can opt to join the swimming program without joining an indoor rowing program.
- Whole-group coached practice on Thursdays from 7:30PM-8:30PM. All program participants are expected to attend this practice.
- All participants are expected to repeat the weekly practice on their own outside of the coached session. This may be done at any pool, day, and time of your choice, or can be done during lanes reserved for this group at Cole Harbour Place on Saturdays from 5:00-7:00PM, and/or Sundays from 1:00PM-2:00PM.
- Participants registering for swimming through Mic Mac AAC Rowing will have paid their annual RNS and RCA membership fees, which insures you while cross training until March 31, 2020. After that date, participants will either need to renew their RNS or RCA annual membership fees, or pay $45 for annual membership with Triathlon Nova Scotia (TNS). If you will be entering triathlon events in 2020, you will be required to obtain a TNS membership in the spring, regardless of your membership with RNS.
- If you would like to register but are unable to start on November 7, please complete your registration and email Michelle Raiche-Marsden (firstname.lastname@example.org) indicating the date that you will be able to start.
Adult Outdoor Running / Walking
- The program is progressive. Beginner runners should start with the group at the beginning of the season in order to build their stamina.
- A late winter / early spring running event will be selected that the group will work towards participating in.
- The program will be scalable, and attendees will group themselves based on expected running / walking pace. All runs will have the option of being completed as a run/walk.
- Mondays at 6:30PM
- Wednesdays at 7:00PM
- Runs will be planned to not exceed one hour total. End times may vary depending on distance / pace.
- The days and times for this program coincide with when the Zatzman Sportsplex offers free access to their running track. In the event of inclement weather or extreme cold, notice will be sent to advise participants that the run will be moved indoors for that evening.
- FREE! No registration or payment required. Friends and family are welcome to join.