WINTER 2019-20 PROGRAMS FOR ADULTS AGES 19+
Updated October 31, 2019
Adult Programs are open to anyone aged 19+ interested in incorporating indoor rowing, swimming, or running into their physical activity or fitness routine.
There is no requirement to have previous rowing experience, or future intentions to row on water. Membership with Mic Mac AAC is not required.
Annual membership fees of $15 for Row Nova Scotia (RNS), and $20 for RCA will be automatically added by the online registration system to the first program joined each membership year (April 1-March 31). Anyone joining a winter program as their first program this year should add $35 to the program fees outlined.
Adult Indoor Learn to Row
- For adults aged 19+ who have no indoor, nor on-water rowing experience
- Activities will focus on learning rowing technique, injury prevention, and how to use rowing as part of a general fitness plan
- At the end of each program, and at the coaches recommendation, participants may transition to the Adult Winter Training program in progress
Adult Winter Training
- For adults aged 19+ who have completed at least one season of indoor rowing winter training, or an Indoor Learn to Row program
- Sessions are offered on various days and times throughout the week. Participants subscribe to their preferred number of sessions per week for the 20-week period, based on their fitness and training goals.
- A rolling two-week schedule will be maintained online so participants can plan their attendance in advance, and make changes if their plans change. Each individual’s schedule may change week to week.
- An email reminder will be circulated weekly advising participants that the schedule for the next two weeks is open for booking. Participants sign up online in advance for the sessions that work with their schedule those weeks.
- How many sessions per week should I sign up for?
- 1-2 Sessions / Week: Suitable for participants who are using indoor rowing for general fitness or as cross-training for other sports. Members of this group will follow a plan suitable for this frequency of training.
- 3-4 Sessions / Week: Participants intending to join the Adult Masters Competitive or Pre-Competitive on-water rowing programs in 2020 should subscribe to 3-4 sessions per week. This group follows an advanced training plan, including establishment of baseline data via a Movement Screen, and RCA RADAR testing.
- 8 weekly sessions to choose from:
- Mondays: 5:45AM-7:15AM
- Tuesdays: 5:45AM-7:15AM, and 6:15PM-7:45PM
- Wednesdays: none
- Thursdays: 5:45AM-7:15AM, and 6:15PM-7:45PM
- Fridays: 12:00PM-1:30PM, and 6:15PM-7:45PM
- Saturdays: none
- Sundays: 4:15PM-5:45PM
– In some cases due to travel, illness, or other commitments, participants may not be able to attend the number of sessions per week they have purchased. Participants are permitted to carry over up to 3 sessions to subsequent weeks.
- Mic Mac AAC Rowing has partnered with the Cole Harbour Hurricanes Swim and Triathlon Club to offer swimming programs for the winter. The swimming program for adults is called the “Tropical Depressions”.
- Target participants include adults with some swimming experience who want to:
- improve their general fitness using swimming in a group setting
- use swimming for cross training for other sports
- learn front crawl well enough to finish a Try-a-Tri triathlon
- Registration for adult swimming is separate from Indoor Rowing.
- Adults can opt to join the swimming program without joining an indoor rowing program.
- Whole-group coached practice on Thursdays from 7:30PM-8:30PM. All program participants are expected to attend this practice.
- All participants are expected to repeat the weekly practice on their own outside of the coached session. This may be done at any pool, day, and time of your choice, or can be done during lanes reserved for this group at Cole Harbour Place on Saturdays from 5:00-7:00PM, and/or Sundays from 1:00PM-2:00PM.
- Participants registering for swimming through Mic Mac AAC Rowing will have paid their annual RNS and RCA membership fees, which insures you while cross training until March 31, 2020. After that date, participants will either need to renew their RNS or RCA annual membership fees, or pay $45 for annual membership with Triathlon Nova Scotia (TNS). If you will be entering triathlon events in 2020, you will be required to obtain a TNS membership in the spring, regardless of your membership with RNS.
- If you would like to register but are unable to start on November 7, please complete your registration and email Michelle Raiche-Marsden (firstname.lastname@example.org) indicating the date that you will be able to start.
Adult Outdoor Running / Walking
- The program is progressive. Beginner runners should start with the group at the beginning of the season in order to build their stamina.
- A late winter / early spring running event will be selected that the group will work towards participating in.
- The program will be scalable, and attendees will group themselves based on expected running / walking pace. All runs will have the option of being completed as a run/walk.
- Mondays at 6:30PM
- Wednesdays at 7:00PM
- Runs will be planned to not exceed one hour total. End times may vary depending on distance / pace.
- The days and times for this program coincide with when the Zatzman Sportsplex offers free access to their running track. In the event of inclement weather or extreme cold, notice will be sent to advise participants that the run will be moved indoors for that evening.
- FREE! No registration or payment required. Friends and family are welcome to join.
Dalhousie University Fall Varsity Rowing – Training / Selection Camp
Saturday August 31, Sunday September 1, and Monday September 2
9:30AM-12:00PM each day
Mic Mac AAC Rowing Boathouse, 192 Prince Albert Road, Dartmouth
There is no fee to attend this camp. However, attendees who have not yet paid their $20 annual RCA fees, and/or $15 annual Row NS fees must do so prior to joining the camp. Online payment is preferred.
Pre-registration for this camp is required via the RCA Online Registration system. Consult with the Dal Rowing executive for details on the deadline for pre-registration.
Registration Steps: Login, Join a Program, Nova Scotia, Mic Mac Amateur Aquatic Club. Scroll to the bottom of the list of programs that appears, and select the option called 2019 Dalhousie University Varsity Rowing – Training / Selection Camp.
Proceed with the usual online registration process. A fee of $35 appears initially, however once you proceed with the registration process, the system will recognize if you have already paid for RCA and/or Row NS fees this year, and will deduct them from the final invoice accordingly.
Any RCA / Row NS fees paid as part of the registration process for this camp will be deducted from fall program fees, once the team has been selected.
Dalhousie University Varsity Rowing – Fall Rowing Program
Registration in this program is by permission only from the Coach, following the Training / Selection Camp August 31-September 2.
– Mondays from 6:00PM-7:45PM
– Wednesdays from 5:45AM-7:30AM
– Thursdays from 5:45AM-7:30AM
– Fridays from 5:45AM-7:30AM
– Sundays from 9:30AM-12:00PM
All sessions listed above will be held at the Mic Mac AAC Rowing Boathouse, 192 Prince Albert Road, Dartmouth. Additional cross-training sessions at other days / locations may be scheduled. Check with Dal Rowing Executive for details.
Online registration and payment via the RCA Online Registration system is required prior to joining this group on the water on Wednesday, September 4.
Registration Steps: Login, Join a Program, Nova Scotia, Mic Mac Amateur Aquatic Club. Scroll to the bottom of the list of programs that appears, and select the option called 2019 Dalhousie University Varsity Rowing Fall Only “C”.
Proceed with the usual online registration process. A fee of $240 appears initially, however once you proceed with the registration process, the system will recognize if you have already paid for RCA and/or Row NS fees this year, and will deduct them from the final invoice accordingly.